We are very familiar with the law applicable to waterways, particularly in relation to the Canal and River Trust and the Environment Agency’s waterways, and have been directly involved in most if not all recent changes to local waterways legislation.
- advising and promoting for the Environment Agency its Inland Waterways Order 2010 which harmonised its local waterways legislation; and advising it on various proposed barrage developments
- advising on and assisting in the promotion of the Ashby de la Zouche Extension Order
- advising the owner of a major waterway in relation to its rights respecting surface run-off and treated sewage entering into its waterway;
- advising the Royal Yachting Association in relation to various proposals of the Norfolk and Suffolk Broads Authority as well as other waterways issues.
Matters which we can help with include:
- Constitution and governance issues
- Exercise of public and private rights
- licensing, byelaws and other forms of regulation
- New waterways infrastructure and regeneration schemes
- Transfer schemes and closures