Town and Village Greens and Rights of Way

We advise a wide range of clients in respect to Town and Village Green and Rights of Way matters.

Working with landowners to oppose applications by third parties to register a right of way (for example a footpath, bridleway, restricted byway or vehicular highway) or village green on their land. We support:

  • Businesses
  • Developers
  • Farmers
  • Local authorities
  • Private landowners

Such applications, if successful, will almost certainly affect the landowner’s use of the land. We advise on the appropriate steps to be taken to try to prevent such claims arising, and on applications to modify existing rights of way on your land, in what is a fast-changing area of law.

We also assist those seeking to register a right of way or village green in making a successful application. Applications may be based on use by the public (generally, 20 years’ continuous use), historical evidence or a combination of the two. The need, suitability or desirability of the right of way or village green claimed are not relevant considerations.

Should a matter go to public inquiry, we will help you prepare – filtering evidence, refining your case, drafting your Statements of Case and Proofs of Evidence, presenting your case and working closely with Counsel, as necessary. We will give you sensible, practical and effective advice.

Use our network

Our team members work closely with the main landowning and farming organisations. We are appointed as the NFU Panel Firm for legal assistance to their members in Kent and East Sussex and are the principal Panel Firm for members of the Tenant Farmers Association. We also have strong links to the Country Land & Business Association, Historic Houses Association and with English Heritage.

Contact Us

News, Views and Events