Karen joined Bircham Dyson Bell in 2015 and heads up the firm’s construction practice. She was admitted as a solicitor in 2001. Prior to joining private practice she qualified as a barrister and enjoyed a varied career including as legal director of the Construction Confederation, where she sat on various JCT committees and in local government.
Karen has worked for developers, funders, institutional investors, contractors and consultants including on major urban regeneration, infrastructure and commercial projects.
Karen Kirkham – ‘extremely pragmatic and proactive, with substantial practical experience’ Chambers & Partners UK 2018
Karen Kirkham ‘is very efficient and able to put her case across to third parties very well.’ Chambers & Partners 2017
Karen Kirkham ‘impresses clients with her depth of knowledge, proactivity, and genuine helpful attitude’ Chambers & Partners 2016
- Acting for London/North East based developer on the construction, funding and letting of several different projects including a £80m rail vehicle manufacturing facility in the North East, two university business schools, a sports club in the Midlands and a hotel in Cambridge;
- Acting for two elderly persons’ charities in connection with their major £50m+ residential developments;
- Acting for an institutional investor in relation to its £30m refurbishment of an office in the City of London;
- Advising two well-known architectural practices on their professional terms of engagement;
- Acting for the developer of a £40m leisure and retail project in central Liverpool;
- Acting for the developer of a £100m+ private rented sector project in the Home Counties; and
- Acting for a major UK transport infrastructure company in relation to rail and residential projects.