John joined Bircham Dyson Bell as a family partner in October 1998, having previously been a partner in a niche family law practice. He has over 28 years’ experience of all aspects of matrimonial work, with an emphasis on the resolution of complex financial and child related disputes, especially those with an international element. John is a trained collaborative lawyer.
Working closely with members of our Private Wealth team, John is frequently asked to advise in cases involving both onshore and offshore trusts. Increasingly he is engaged to negotiate and draft pre-marital agreements and advise on asset protection measures. He also has experience of advising on civil partnerships and related cohabitation and pre-civil partnership agreements. John has recently been involved in giving advice on a pre same sex marriage agreement.
John is a member of the firm’s Individuals Group and the Contentious Trusts and Estates Team – he has a particular interest in claims brought against estates for financial provision under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975.
– Listed as a leading lawyer in the Honours List for family and matrimonial lawyers by Citywealth (2013 Edition).
– John is recommended for family law by The Legal 500 2013>
Recommended in the Legal 500 UK 2017
John Darnton has ‘a real flair for communicating complicated matters very simply.’
Legal 500 UK 2016
- Clifford v Clifford  FLR 732
- re M (Abduction) (Consent:Acquiesence)  1 FLR 171
- T v T (Child Abduction: Non-Convention Country)  2 FLR 1110
- Morgan & Anor v Cilento & Ors  EWHC 188 (Ch)
- Wolff & Wolff -v- Wolff and Others  Lawtel
- Robson v Robson  EWCA Civ 1171>
- Thursfield v Thursfield  EWCA Civ 840>