Helen specialises in tax and estate planning for both UK and non-UK domiciled clients and in trust and tax advice for onshore and international trusts on a wide range of issues, including restructuring, responding to legislation in relevant jurisdictions and advising on more contentious situations. She has a particular interest in heritage property.
She acts for individuals, families, trustees and beneficiaries, and often acts as trustee or executor. She works particularly with clients in the offshore trust jurisdictions, Europe, the Middle and Far East and the US.
She contributes frequently to private client journals and speaks at conferences and workshops.
Helen led the Bircham Dyson Bell contributing team to the STEP Practical Guide to the Transfer of Trusteeships.
– Ranked in the Who’s Who of Legal Private Client list>
– Ranked as one of the Best Lawyers in the UK in trusts and personal tax law>
– Ranked as a ‘Top 20 Lawyer’ and ‘Top 20 Women in Private Wealth Management’ by Citywealth 2014
– Ranked as a ‘Top Woman in Business Law’ by Expert Guides> 2014 and 2015
Helen Ratcliffe – ‘She is of huge value to us’, ‘She is extremely calm, quietly spoken, probably the most respectful lady you will ever do business with but she can really hold her own. Calm and elegant, but no push over.’ Chambers & Partners UK 2017
Helen Ratcliffe is ‘efficient, thorough and superb with clients.’ Legal 500 UK 2016
Helen Ratcliffe balances her non-contentious advice with a thriving private client disputes practice. Observers praise her highly, with one commenting: ‘she is very sensible and deliberate – she ensures that all issues are thoroughly considered before implementation.’ Chambers & Partners UK 2014
Memberships and professional bodies
- Named as one of Legal Week’s 2017 Global Elite
- 2014 – The International Comparative Legal Guide to: Private Client – Shifting Sands: The UK Revenue’s New Approach to UK Property Ownership through Enveloping>